Britney Spears Required to Stay in the Psych Ward at UCLA for Another 14 Days
Was initially committed to the UCLA Medical Center's psychiatric ward for mental evaluation Thursday, January 31 and scheduled to be released from the hospital on Sunday, February 3, Britney Spears in fact was required to stay hospitalized at UCLA Medical Center for another 14 days.
Cited a section in the state law that allows patients to be retained for medical treatment if they are found to be gravely disabled or a danger to themselves or others, doctors and a medical officer at the UCLA decided on Saturday, February 2 to keep Britney hospitalized for an additional 14 days, it has been confirmed.
"It is the right decision," a source close to the situation said in a statement. "She is safest right now under the care of professionals."
The decision to extend Britney's stay at the Stewart & Lynda Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UCLA reportedly was based on the troubled singer's parents' wishes. Concerning her recent status, which is an involuntary one, Britney could possibly be released earlier than the 14-days time period if she either legally demands it or if her doctor deems her well enough to continue her treatment as an outpatient.
Britney's prolonged stay in treatment was merely a hospital one, that being so no courts were involved in the decision. While there have yet any comments from the hospital nor from Britney's people, it's been reported that Britney had been treated by the much respected Deborah Nadel.
In other Britney news, talk is heating up on her father Jamie Spears being appointed by the court to take over her personal and financial affairs following her hospitalization due to her increasingly bizarre public behavior.
More Britney Spears News
- Chris Brown Is Arrested for Assault With a Deadly Weapon
- New Boyfriend? Lindsay Lohan Spotted Together With Dennis Papageorgiou in Greece
- Calvin Harris Strips Down to His Undies in New Instagram Photo
- Gisele Bundchen, Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid Among Highest-Paid Models 2016
- Selena Gomez Takes a Break, Cancels Tour Amid Battle With Depression due to Lupus
- 'Arrow' Season 5 Shows First Look at Villainous Prometheus
- Blake Lively Celebrates Baby Shower With Taylor Swift
- Gabby Douglas Apologizes After Missing VMAs due to Health Issues