Jay-Z Confirmed as First Rapper to Headline Glastonbury
Turns out people took well the hints given by organizer Michael Eavis on this year's Glastonbury Festival. Jay-Z has been confirmed as the headliner for the June event, breaking the tradition by bringing Hip-Hop to the usually Rock and Alternative stage.
Eavis has left people questioning when he hinted last month that a "black American" from "New York" has been tapped as the main act of the British music event. To BBC Somerset, Eavis said that he wanted to "break with tradition this time and put on something totally different" and by signing Jay-Z he hopes the rapper "will appeal to the young people and under-25s."
Glastonbury is usually dominated by rock and alternative acts like Radiohead, Muse or Oasis but with the confirmation, Jay-Z will be the first rapper to ever headline the festival.
Glastonbury is held over three-days weekend starting from June 27. Registration for the tickets has been opened since February 1 and there is a month period of time for fans to apply. Those who go through, will then be able to purchase the tickets on April 6.
Rock singer Neil Diamond has been confirmed as the headliner of the June 29 night, taking the prestigious Pyramid stage. Eavis, 72, has said that Diamond will hopefully attract people of his age to the festival.
More Jay-Z News
- Mary J. Blige Confirms She's Divorcing Husband Kendu Isaacs After 12 Years of Marriage
- 'New Girl' Really Loves Megan Fox, Brings Her Back for Major Season 6 Arc
- 'Suicide Squad' Confirms Another DC Superhero's Appearance
- Kim Kardashian Is Unrecognizable in These TBT Photos From the 2008 Teen Choice Awards
- Watch Katy Perry Rock the DNC With 'Rise' and 'Roar'
- Kate Hudson Looks on Awkwardly as Ex Matt Bellamy Makes Out With Elle Evans in Greece
- Miley Cyrus Will Reportedly Release New Single in October
- Lindsay Lohan Spotted Drinking, Smoking and Showing Tiny Baby Bump During Vacation