'Atonement' Secured 7 Nods at the 35th Annual Evening Standard British Film Awards
Announced as the strong contender at the 2008 BAFTA, "Atonement" showed its domination on British film competition by leading the 35th Annual Evening Standard British Film Awards' nominations. On Monday, January 21, the classic British romance starring Keira Knightley and James McAvoy secured 7 nods, including Best Picture and Best Screenplay.
In the category of Best Picture, the rivals of Joe Wright directed-film include "Blue Blood", "Control", "Hallam Foe" and "It's A Free World". The film that was released on December 7, 2007 also received gongs in the Technical Achievement category for costume design as well as in the Best Actress and Actor categories.
Knightley got the shot at nailing the Best Actress prize though she will have to be up against her co-star, Romola Garai, Helena Bonham Carter for "Conversation With Other Women" and "Sweeney Todd", Julie Christie for "Away From Her", Samantha Morton for "Control" and Tilda Swinton for "Michael Clayton". Meanwhile, for the Best Actor prize, McAvoy will have to face stiff competition from Jamie Bell for "Hallam Foe", Jim Broadbent for "And When Did You Last See Your Father", Daniel Day-Lewis for "There Will Be Blood", Gabriel Byrne for "Jindabyne" and Sam Riley for "Control".
Aside from giving away Best Picture, Screenplay, Actress, Actor and Technical Achievement prize, this particular awards event formerly known as Evening News British Film Award also shared silver Eros statuettes to Most Promising Newcomer and Best Film Score. Further, the announcement of the winners will be published in the Evening Standard on February 4, 2008. In the meantime, the full list of the nominees can be seen at thisislondon.co.uk.
- Chris Brown Reacts to Accusations That He Pulled Gun on Woman
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Announces Full Cast and Pairings for Season 23
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does