Borat Wins Alabama Lawsuit
Though sued by many, evidently "Borat" once again wins the judges' heart as on Friday, January 18, the nine-member Alabama Supreme Court overruled a lawsuit filed by Kathie Martin. The justices who sided with Sacha Baron Cohen said that the etiquette teacher cannot sue Cohen and the production companies of the comedy movie because Martin has signed an agreement stating only courts in New York could hear any disputes that arose from her appearance.
On dismissal of the lawsuit, Justice Mike Bolin wrote "It is sufficient to say that an eventful meal ensued during which the alleged reporter engaged in behavior that would generally be considered boorish and offensive." Following the ruling, neither Martin nor The 20th Century Fox gave out comment.
Earlier, claiming that she was embarrassed and humiliated by her encounter with Borat, Martin sued Cohen, Twentieth Century, One America Productions Inc., Everyman Pictures, Dune Entertainment, MTV Networks, Comedy Central, Dakota North Entertainment Inc. and Four by Two Production Co. Originally, in April, a lower court sided with Martin and let the case to be put forward, but Supreme Court then ruled that the Alabama courts could not hear the case because of the agreement making the case to be sent back to a Jefferson County judge.
The comedy movie chronicles the documentary journey of outrageous Kazakhstani reporter, Borat played by Cohen, across the U.S. in search of Pamela Anderson. In the Alabama section, Borat takes etiquette lessons from Martin and then is presenting guests at a dinner party with a bag of human feces, which is featured in the movie.
The movie eventually grossed more than $US200 million and became the subject of several other lawsuits. Others who have filed suit over the movie include South Carolina fraternity members, a Maryland driving instructor, Romanian villagers and a businessman who was shown fleeing from a hug from Cohen in New York.
- Pressed About Gay Cover-Up Rumor, Here's How Will Smith Reacts
- Bryan Singer Confirms 'Legion' Will 'Relate' to Future 'X-Men' Movies
- Demi Lovato's Reportedly Dating UFC's Luke Rockhold
- Do You Ever Find Group Chat Annoying? Kerry Washington Perfectly Portrays It in Fake Movie Trailer
- Ellie Goulding Releases 'Still Falling for You' Video From 'Bridget Jones's Baby'
- So, This Is Apparently Why Jennifer Lopez Broke Up With Casper Smart
- Helen Mirren in Talks to Join New 'Nutcracker' Movie, Sarah Paulson Eying a Role in 'Ocean's Eight'
- Young Thug's 'No, My Name Is Jeffery' Album Cover Sparks Hilarious Memes