Movie Hunk George Clooney Named U.N. Messenger of Peace
Has received numerous honor for his acting career, not to mention that of People's Sexiest Man Alive predicate, George Clooney has just been honored for his humanitarian work, being appointed as United Nations "messenger of peace."
Clooney's designation as U.N. Messenger of Peace was announced Friday, January 18 by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon. The movie hunk thus joins the likes of Michael Douglas and musician Yo-Yo Ma as previous celebrity U.N. honorees.
"You have seen first-hand the pain experienced by the victims of war and made it your personal mission to help end violence and human suffering," Moon said about Clooney's efforts to raise awareness of the Darfur crisis.
"Deeply honored to receive this appointment," Clooney stated he looked "forward to working with the United Nations in order to build public support for its critically important work in some of the most difficult, dangerous and dire places in the world."
Concerning his new duty, Clooney is set to promote the U.N.'s peacekeeping efforts in a location that will be assigned to him on January 31 at the world body's New York headquarters.
More George Clooney News
- First Minute of 'Pretty Little Liars' Season 7B Premiere Lands Online
- Kim Kardashian Reacts to Baby No. 3 Bombshell, Says Surrogacy Is Also an Option
- Find Out Why Kourtney Kardashian Won't Date a Rapper or Athlete Like Her Sisters
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Teaser Is Out, Captain America Will Make a Cameo
- Report: Kim Kardashian Gets in Top Shape to Prepare for Single Life Without Kanye West
- 'The Voice' Battle Round Night 3 Thins the Herd as Some Singers Are Sent Back Home
- Jared Padalecki and Wife Welcome Baby Girl - See the First Photo
- Scarlett Johansson Talks Dating Again as She Thinks Gordon Ramsay 'Is the Hottest Guy'