Movie Hunk George Clooney Named U.N. Messenger of Peace
Has received numerous honor for his acting career, not to mention that of People's Sexiest Man Alive predicate, George Clooney has just been honored for his humanitarian work, being appointed as United Nations "messenger of peace."
Clooney's designation as U.N. Messenger of Peace was announced Friday, January 18 by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon. The movie hunk thus joins the likes of Michael Douglas and musician Yo-Yo Ma as previous celebrity U.N. honorees.
"You have seen first-hand the pain experienced by the victims of war and made it your personal mission to help end violence and human suffering," Moon said about Clooney's efforts to raise awareness of the Darfur crisis.
"Deeply honored to receive this appointment," Clooney stated he looked "forward to working with the United Nations in order to build public support for its critically important work in some of the most difficult, dangerous and dire places in the world."
Concerning his new duty, Clooney is set to promote the U.N.'s peacekeeping efforts in a location that will be assigned to him on January 31 at the world body's New York headquarters.
More George Clooney News
- 'Womanizer' Scott Disick Cozies Up to 6th Woman in Monaco
- Emily Ratajkowski Goes Nude on the Set of New Thriller 'Welcome Home'
- Rihanna Sparks Pregnancy Speculations
- Suzy Hints That She's Missing Boyfriend Lee Min Ho in New Instagram Pic
- Big Bang's G-Dragon Sports Cornrows and Heavy Makeup in New Instagram Pics
- Pregnant Nikki Reed Bares Cleavage in Sexy Maternity Clothes
- Cristiano Ronaldo's Mother Laughs Off Georgina Rodriguez Pregnancy Rumor: 'It's Nonsense'
- Lamar Odom Is Refused Entry at Los Angeles Strip Club