Grammy Awards in Jeopardy, CEO Seeks Waiver from WGA
The Writers Guild of America ongoing strike is in great possibility to take effect at 50th Grammy Awards ceremony which is due February 10. The latest development regarding this issue is a waiver sent by the event's producers for the president of WGA, Patric Verrone.
In a statement, Neil Portnow, President of The Recording Academy that owns the awards said, "Today the producers of the 50th Annual GRAMMY Awards requested an interim agreement from the WGA for the telecast on February 10. The Recording Academy remains hopeful that there will be a quick and positive response."
However, further reports suggested that WGA will not grant this "interim agreement" like they did for The Golden Globes earlier this week. Screen Actors Guild may as well be down the line for the boycott as more and more artists are considering to snub the event. Reports said that The White Stripes, Alicia Keys, 50 Cent, Prince, Justin Timberlake and many more are pro WGA and considering not to turn up.
Despite the jeopardy, the Grammy Awards event organizer is still going full speed on the preparation of the event which is scheduled to take place at Los Angeles' Staples Center. No presenters and confirmed performers have been announced yet.
Portnow continued, "In closing, let me reiterate our desire to bring this matter to a positive resolution working with the WGA. And to slightly alter a famous saying in our world, 'The Show will go on.' We will take whatever action is necessary to ensure that a program so vital to our industry, artists, charitable beneficiaries, and the great city of Los Angeles is held as planned. Accordingly, all preparations by The Academy for our milestone 50th Annual GRAMMY Awards remain in full-swing."
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences