Sean Penn Acknowledged by Directors Guild of America
Not being able to score a single award from the 7 nominations it garnered at the 13th Critics' Choice Awards, "Into the Wild" gave out consolation for its director as Sean Penn was named amongst the nominees of the 60th Annual Directors Guild of America awards. On Tuesday, January 8, the actor turned director was nominated for the outstanding directing of a feature film category.
For the top prize, Penn has to be up against favorite winners, the Coen brothers and Paul Thomas Anderson who were nominated for their acclaimed films "No Country for Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood" respectively. He will also have to face stiff competition from the director of "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly", Julian Schnabel, and the helmer of "Michael Clayton", Tony Gilroy.
Most of the nominees for the honor were first-time nominees, except for the Coen brothers who were previously nominated for "Fargo". In the meantime, the winner of the 60th DGA awards will be announced on Saturday, January 26, at the Hyatt Century Plaza Hotel in Los Angeles.
More Sean Penn News
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri