39th NAACP Image Awards Put Kanye West and Mary J. Blige in Tie
The 39th National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) Image Awards unveils its nominees in recording category that show a domination by Kanye West and Mary J. Blige. Both artists are up for four nods which three of them are in the same category.
Categories where West and Blige will compete with each other are 'Best Album', 'Best Song' and 'Music Video'. Meanwhile, each will be vying for the title 'Male Artist' and 'Female Artist' respectively. Coming as 'New Artist' nominees this year are 'Bed' singer J. Holiday, sixth season American Idol Alumna Jordin Sparks, the 2007 Grammy nominee Chrisette Michele, and multi-selling teen rapper Sean Kingston.
Other nominations also put Jazz artists such as Dee Dee Bridgewater, Patti Austin and Gospel acts like Yolanda Adams and Marvin Winans. The recording category is divided into 10 sub-categories including the international recognition under the title 'World Music Album'.
This year will also see Stevie Wonder inducted to the event's Hall of Fame for "his role as a pioneer in his field with impact nationally and internationally" and his involvement in civil rights over the span of his career, as well as his work helping make Martin Luther King Day a national holiday.
Like Grammy and Oscar, the winners of NAACP will be determined through voting by the board's members. The ceremony to hand the statuettes will take place in Los Angeles on February 14 and broadcast by FOX at 8 P.M. The award also recognizes other entertainment field such as movies, TV and literature. For complete nominees log on to NaacpImageAwards.net (PDF).
More Kanye West News
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences