Newlyweds Eddie Murphy and Tracey Edmonds to Hold Legal Wedding Ceremony in US
Amidst claim that their much publicized New Year's nuptial was not valid, Eddie Murphy and wife Tracey Edmonds reportedly are ready for a do-over.
The pair exchanged vows on January 1 on a private island off Bora Bora, part of French Polynesia which is under French law, which stipulates a wedding is valid only if the couple have been in the territory for at least 30 days or if they are married in a town hall by a mayor.
The United States, elsewhere, only recognizes international weddings if the ceremony adheres to local laws in the country where the deed is done.
Set to clarify any confusion regarding the Bora Bora vow swap, Edmonds' representative issued a statement Thursday, January 3 saying "As is typical when couples get married in foreign countries, a legal ceremony will take place when they return to the U.S."
The representative explained further that "The wedding that took place in Bora Bora was a ceremony to bind Eddie and Tracey spiritually in the presence of family and friends. The couple plan a legal ceremony as soon as they return to the States."
No words on when the legal wedding ceremony will take place.
Murphy and Edmonds, a film producer, reportedly arrived in French Polynesia by a private jet on the weekend and were married on new year's day on a small islet near Bora Bora Island, a playground for wealthy tourists. The wedding was made public late that day in a joint statement from reps of both of them who said "25 close friends and family attended the intimate sunset ceremony on the beach."
The marriage is the second for both Murphy and Edmonds. The actor-comedian previously married to model Nicole Mitchell from 1993 to 2006. They had five children together. Last year, he fathered a daughter with Melanie Brown of the Spice Girls.
Edmonds, meanwhile, split from her singer husband Babyface last year. They had two sons together.
Notwithstanding with the issue, People Magazine has exclusively obtained the wedding photos of them which will be available in its latests issue, on newsstands January 11.
- Kendall Jenner Flashes Nipples in Sheer Bra for Love Magazine
- Kanye West in Talks to Join Revival of 'American Idol'
- Midlife Crisis? Leonardo DiCaprio Will Do Anything to Stay Young
- Harry Styles Is 'Terrified' His Debut Solo Single Will Not Sell
- Kim Kardashian Drops Baby Bombshell to Save 'KUWTK' Ratings
- James Blunt Sings Touching New Song at Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds' Memorial
- 'Orange Is the New Black' Star Samira Wiley Marries the Show's Writer Lauren Morelli
- 'Once Upon a Time' 6.15 Preview: Aladdin and Jasmine Meet Ariel in 'A Wondrous Place'