Paris Hilton's Billionaire Grandfather Gives 97 Per Cent of His Fortune to Charity
Paris Hilton's billionaire grandfather Barron Hilton announced Wednesday, December 26 that he's donating 97% of his $2.3 billion fortune to his father's charity foundation, the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation.
Barron Hilton, 80, has had an infusion of cash from two recent private equity deals; the sale of Hilton Hotels Corp. to Blackstone for $26 billion or $47.50 a share back in July and the pending sale of the world's biggest casino company, Harrah's Entertainment Inc., to Apollo and Texas Pacific Group for $15 billion.
Barron reportedly holds roughly 5% of the Hilton hotels' shares and is said to earn $300 million from the sale of Harrah's.
In a statement e-mailed to Fortune, Barron wrote "My personal net worth today, including created trusts, is approximately $2.3 billion, and what ever value it is upon my passing, it is my intent to contribute 97% of my estate to the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, following in my father's footsteps."
Barron pledged an immediate $1.2 billion donation to the foundation, with an estimated $1.1 billion to follow after his death. He is the foundation's chairman.
The Conrad N. Hilton Foundation was established in 1944 by Barron's father Conrad Hilton who left nearly all his fortune to the organization when he died in 1979. The charity itself supports projects that provide clean water in Africa, education for blind children, and housing for the mentally ill. Its aim, based on Conrad Hilton's will, is "to relieve the suffering, the distressed and the destitute."
Paris was not immediately available for comment on her grandfather's plans for his fortune.
- Chris Evans' Steve Rogers Is No Longer Captain America in MCU, Russo Brothers Confirm
- 'Blade Runner 2' Set Collapses, Killing Construction Worker
- Scott Eastwood Makes Emotional Phone Call to Father of His Ex Who Died in Car Crash
- Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa Sued by Victims of Collapsed Railing at Their Concert
- Homeland Security on the Hunt for Those Who Hacked Leslie Jones' Website
- Check Out Christina Grimmie's Third Posthumous Music Video for 'Deception'
- Amber Heard Slams Johnny Depp for Directly Sending Her Settlement Money to Charities
- The Rock Topples Robert Downey Jr. From Top Spot on List of Highest-Paid Actors 2016