Retired Heavyweight Boxing Champion Mike Tyson Sentenced to 1 Day in Jail for DUI
Former heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson has on Monday November 19th sentenced to 24 hours in jail and three years probation for drug possession and driving under the influence, stemmed from December last year arrest after he was spotted driving his black BMW erratically and nearly collided with a police vehicle.
Tyson had just left Pussycat Lounge, a nightclub in Scottsdale, Arizona, back on December 29th last year when cops pulled him over for driving erratically that almost hit a sheriff's deputy's vehicle. During further search, the authorities found 2.16 grams of cocaine in several bags in his possession at the time and traces of marijuana in his system.
He, later on, admitted to having used marijuana that day along with an anti-depressant. In September, Tyson pleaded guilty to a single felony count of cocaine possession and a misdemeanor DUI count. Since his arrest, Tyson had undergone treatment at a California rehabilitation center and worked with children preaching a message of staying sober and keeping off drugs. His attorney said in court he had passed 29 straight drug tests.
And while prosecutors had sought one year in prison for the former fighter, claiming he was a repeat offender with a violent past and that the court needed to send a strong message, Superior Court Judge Helene Abrams was on the other hand impressed with how the boxer has tried to atone and thus ordered him to one day jail for the driving offense, three years' probation on each count, and perform 360 hours of community service.
Tyson will be incarcerated Tuesday in Tent City, Maricopa County's infamous jail near a dog pound and trash dump and also will have to pay a fine and submit to drug testing. Here's the court documents.
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle
- Camila Cabello Is 'Dying' to Enlist Taylor Swift for Debut Solo Album
- Donald Glover to Play Simba in 'The Lion King' Remake