Michael Vick Voluntarily Surrendered to U.S. Marshals to Begin Dogfighting Sentence Early
Michael Vick, who's been scheduled to be sentenced on December 10th later this year after pleaded guilty to a federal dogfighting charge, has voluntarily surrendered to U.S. marshals Monday November 19th for an early start to his jail time.
The Atlanta Falcons quarterback, whose dogfighting enterprise, by his own admission, included killing fighting dogs and gambling, surrendered to U.S. marshals in Richmond and was taken to the Northern Neck Regional Jail in Warsaw, Va., to await sentencing.
"He starts now, and every day in (jail) is a day sooner he gets out," Washington, D.C., attorney Barry Boss, former co-chair of the U.S. Sentencing Commission's Practitioners Advisory Group said in a statement. "If he's considering a professional football career on the back end, he probably wants to miss as little time as possible. So it makes sense. He's not playing any football now any way."
Vick was pleaded guilty back on August 27th to a one-count indictment alleging an interstate conspiracy to operate a dogfighting venture based in Virginia. He's scheduled to be sentenced December 10th on a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge but worked out a deal "to voluntarily enter custody prior to his sentencing hearing," according to a court document.
The maximum sentence is five years in prison. The plea agreement called for a recommended sentencing guideline of 12-18 months in prison. However, U.S. District judge Henry E. Hudson is not bound by the recommendation.
In a statement Monday, Vick's lead attorney, Billy Martin of Washington, D.C., said, "From the beginning Mr. Vick has accepted responsibility for his actions and his self-surrender further demonstrates that acceptance." He, furthermore, added "Michael wants to again apologize to everyone who has been hurt in this matter, and he thanks all of the people who have offered him and his family prayers and support during this time."
- Chris Brown Sued for Allegedly Stealing a Fan's Hat at Concert
- Listen to Previews of Justin Bieber's Remix of Drake's 'One Dance'
- Take a Look at Ciara's Exotic Vacation in Mexico With Russell Wilson and Son Future
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Daughter Impressed With His Tattoo
- Artist of the Week: Fifth Harmony
- Johnny Depp Is 'Blackmailed' by 'Manipulative' Amber Heard, Says Friend Doug Stanhope
- Kim Kardashian Shows Off Her Curves in Cleavage-Baring Dress During Lunch With Kanye West
- 'Game of Thrones' 6.07 Preview: More Unexpected Returns