Michael Vick Voluntarily Surrendered to U.S. Marshals to Begin Dogfighting Sentence Early
Michael Vick, who's been scheduled to be sentenced on December 10th later this year after pleaded guilty to a federal dogfighting charge, has voluntarily surrendered to U.S. marshals Monday November 19th for an early start to his jail time.
The Atlanta Falcons quarterback, whose dogfighting enterprise, by his own admission, included killing fighting dogs and gambling, surrendered to U.S. marshals in Richmond and was taken to the Northern Neck Regional Jail in Warsaw, Va., to await sentencing.
"He starts now, and every day in (jail) is a day sooner he gets out," Washington, D.C., attorney Barry Boss, former co-chair of the U.S. Sentencing Commission's Practitioners Advisory Group said in a statement. "If he's considering a professional football career on the back end, he probably wants to miss as little time as possible. So it makes sense. He's not playing any football now any way."
Vick was pleaded guilty back on August 27th to a one-count indictment alleging an interstate conspiracy to operate a dogfighting venture based in Virginia. He's scheduled to be sentenced December 10th on a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge but worked out a deal "to voluntarily enter custody prior to his sentencing hearing," according to a court document.
The maximum sentence is five years in prison. The plea agreement called for a recommended sentencing guideline of 12-18 months in prison. However, U.S. District judge Henry E. Hudson is not bound by the recommendation.
In a statement Monday, Vick's lead attorney, Billy Martin of Washington, D.C., said, "From the beginning Mr. Vick has accepted responsibility for his actions and his self-surrender further demonstrates that acceptance." He, furthermore, added "Michael wants to again apologize to everyone who has been hurt in this matter, and he thanks all of the people who have offered him and his family prayers and support during this time."
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce Is Snow Queen, Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj Show Skin on Red Carpet
- Beyonce Is Performing at the 2016 MTV VMAs, MTV Confirms
- Britney Spears Reveals Her Desire to Collaborate With Ex Justin Timberlake
- Mariah Carey's Estranged Sister Busted for Prostitution
- Video: Jennifer Lopez Reunites With Ex Marc Anthony on Stage After Casper Smart Split
- Adam Levine Dresses Up as Pokemon-Like Monster for Maroon 5 Music Video Shoot
- Watch: Thor Hilariously Explains Why He Is Absent From 'Captain America: Civil War'
- Do These Pictures Show Justin Bieber Having Sex With Sofia Richie?