Eagles Hampered Britney Spears' Hope to Break Record
A painful truth just hit Britney Spears and her team in Jive. Billboard has revised their chart policy today (November 7), allowing exclusive album titles that are only available through one retailer to be counted. Meaning Britney's much-hyped 'Blackout' won't debut at #1 this week.
In what came as a surprise, Eagles who released 'Long Road Out of Eden' exclusively through WalMart, SamsClub.com and the band's official site have sold 711,000 copies of the album according to SoundScan, ultimately gaining the #1 post. This is a hard number to beat considering Britney's 'Blackout' is counted to have sold 'only' 290,000 units.
"We know that some retailers will be uncomfortable with this policy, but it was inevitable that Billboard's charts would ultimately widen the parameters to reflect changes that are unfolding in music distribution," said Geoff Mayfield, Billboard's director of charts. "We would have preferred to make this decision earlier, but only became aware within the last 24 hours that Wal-Mart would be willing to share the data for this title with Nielsen SoundScan."
Based on its genre, 'Long Road Out of Eden' will also open at #1 in Billboard Top Country Albums and possibly other charts which will be revealed later this week.
In this case, Britney has failed breaking her own record of being the first female artist in SoundScan history to have her first five studio albums opening at #1.
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs
- Jennifer Garner Appears to Be Crying During a Reunion With Ben Affleck
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group