Soulja Boy's 'Crank That' Banned From School Dance
Arguably one of the biggest hits this year, 'Crank That' has been banned at a school dance in Mason High School. Several parents and students came to David Allen, urging the school principal to prevent the song that belongs to teen rapper Soulja Boy from being played during the dance.
For one thing Allen responded to the lyrics that was considered profane and inappropriate to students in the Ohio school. "In printing those lyrics out, there were obviously some words and some different things in the song that made that individual student or those students and those parents uncomfortable," Allen told Ohio's Middletown Journal.
"In looking at the words of that song, I couldn't defend playing it and say to our parents that it is indeed something I would deem appropriate. We want kids to have a good time. We don't want kids there feeling uncomfortable because of the music."
While some have enjoyed victory over the banning, many held a protest against it. In a school board meeting, a number of students provided other songs that have milder lyrics but contain more provocative messages behind it. According to AllHipHop.com, they are looking forward to perform the signature dance in unison.
Producer of Soulja's album, Michael "Mr. Coolipark" Crooms, thought that the movement to ban the song is simply "crazy". He told AllHipHop, "When I found Soulja Boy, he had songs that had profanity, but it was his idea to clean them up, because his records are fun. You can't please everyone, but this is crazy. Here you have the most clean cut guy in the game. For anyone to ban him for what has achieved is crazy. "
'Crank That' has spent five weeks sitting at Billboard Hot 100 chart. It is taken from Soulja's debut album 'SouljaBoytellem.com' that was released on October 2 and entered Billboard Hot 200 at #4.
Soulja Boy, 'Crank That':
- Armie Hammer Accidentally Reveals Sex of His Unborn Baby
- Kelly Osbourne Settles Lawsuit With Dad Ozzy's Mistress
- Donald Trump Has His Own Porn Video Despite Bashing Alicia Machado for Her Sex Tape
- 'Criminal Minds' Finds Thomas Gibson's Replacement, John Legend Lands 'Underground' Role
- Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute to Late Dad With Throwback Video on His Death Anniversary
- Colin Trevorrow Says 'Jurassic World 2' Will Have More Scares and Animatronic Dinosaurs
- Nicole Kidman Says She Was Too Young When She Married Tom Cruise
- Watch Trailer for 30 Seconds to Mars' 'Camp Mars: The Concert Film'