Shakira Makes an Enormous $45 Million Donation to Charity
Shakira is a total giver. The Colombian singer announced Thursday September 27th at a New York summit on global climate change and development, organized by former U.S. president Bill Clinton, an enormous $45 million donation to help victims of natural disasters.
The donation made by ALAS (Latin America for Solidarity Foundation), $40 million of which will be used to repair damage caused by an earthquake in Peru and a hurricane in Nicaragua, with the rest $5 million will be spent on health and education in four Latin American countries.
"I've seen first-hand many of the challenges facing Latin America," Shakira said in a statement. "These are challenging problems that no one person can address, but working together everyone can help make a difference."
Shakira is the co-founder of the Latin America for Solidarity Foundation (ALAS), which means wings in Spanish, with Nobel Prize winning author Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
- Blac Chyna Celebrates 40-Pound Weight Loss by Posing Nude in Bed
- Kristen Stewart In Talks for Fox's Thriller 'Underwater'
- 'The Predator' Reboot Adds 'Chuck' Alum Yvonne Strahovski
- Nick Cannon Introduces Newborn Baby Boy Golden 'Sagon'
- Jamie Chung to Play Blink in FOX's 'X-Men' Pilot
- Racist Men Charged for Hurling N-Word at Jamie Foxx
- Cate Blanchett Turns Into a Drag Queen for Charity
- See Mindy Transforming Into a Handsome White Man on 'The Mindy Project'