Shakira Makes an Enormous $45 Million Donation to Charity
Shakira is a total giver. The Colombian singer announced Thursday September 27th at a New York summit on global climate change and development, organized by former U.S. president Bill Clinton, an enormous $45 million donation to help victims of natural disasters.
The donation made by ALAS (Latin America for Solidarity Foundation), $40 million of which will be used to repair damage caused by an earthquake in Peru and a hurricane in Nicaragua, with the rest $5 million will be spent on health and education in four Latin American countries.
"I've seen first-hand many of the challenges facing Latin America," Shakira said in a statement. "These are challenging problems that no one person can address, but working together everyone can help make a difference."
Shakira is the co-founder of the Latin America for Solidarity Foundation (ALAS), which means wings in Spanish, with Nobel Prize winning author Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
- Jamie Bell in Talks to Be the New James Bond
- First Look at Katherine Waterston's Daniels in 'Alien: Covenant' Image
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Plan $10M Lawsuit to Silence Former Bodyguard
- Justin Bieber Spotted on Dinner Date With Nicola Peltz
- Take a Peek at Gwen Stefani's 'Misery' Music Video in This Teaser
- Miranda Lambert Closes Her Boutique, Sells Building to Ex-Husband Blake Shelton
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them
- Ben Affleck Gives Jennifer Garner 11-Carat Diamond Ahead of Their Anniversary - Is It True?