Shakira Makes an Enormous $45 Million Donation to Charity
Shakira is a total giver. The Colombian singer announced Thursday September 27th at a New York summit on global climate change and development, organized by former U.S. president Bill Clinton, an enormous $45 million donation to help victims of natural disasters.
The donation made by ALAS (Latin America for Solidarity Foundation), $40 million of which will be used to repair damage caused by an earthquake in Peru and a hurricane in Nicaragua, with the rest $5 million will be spent on health and education in four Latin American countries.
"I've seen first-hand many of the challenges facing Latin America," Shakira said in a statement. "These are challenging problems that no one person can address, but working together everyone can help make a difference."
Shakira is the co-founder of the Latin America for Solidarity Foundation (ALAS), which means wings in Spanish, with Nobel Prize winning author Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
More Shakira News
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones