Shakira Makes an Enormous $45 Million Donation to Charity
Shakira is a total giver. The Colombian singer announced Thursday September 27th at a New York summit on global climate change and development, organized by former U.S. president Bill Clinton, an enormous $45 million donation to help victims of natural disasters.
The donation made by ALAS (Latin America for Solidarity Foundation), $40 million of which will be used to repair damage caused by an earthquake in Peru and a hurricane in Nicaragua, with the rest $5 million will be spent on health and education in four Latin American countries.
"I've seen first-hand many of the challenges facing Latin America," Shakira said in a statement. "These are challenging problems that no one person can address, but working together everyone can help make a difference."
Shakira is the co-founder of the Latin America for Solidarity Foundation (ALAS), which means wings in Spanish, with Nobel Prize winning author Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
- Ariana Grande Debuts New Hairdo Amid Reports She Was Barred From Performing at White House
- 'High School Musical' Alum Corbin Bleu Gets Married to Sasha Clements. Get the Details
- 'Star Trek Beyond' Easily Wins at Box Office
- Lindsay Lohan Fights With Fiance Egor Tarabasov After Accusing Him of Cheating on Social Media
- Comic-Con: 'Prison Break' Revival Debuts New Trailer and Clip
- Liv Tyler Shares Adorable Breastfeeding Photo With Her Newborn
- Calvin Harris and Kim Kardashian Party Together Amid Taylor Swift Feud
- Drake's New Mixtape Is on the Way as 'Views' Tops Billboard 200 for 11th Week