Shakira Makes an Enormous $45 Million Donation to Charity
Shakira is a total giver. The Colombian singer announced Thursday September 27th at a New York summit on global climate change and development, organized by former U.S. president Bill Clinton, an enormous $45 million donation to help victims of natural disasters.
The donation made by ALAS (Latin America for Solidarity Foundation), $40 million of which will be used to repair damage caused by an earthquake in Peru and a hurricane in Nicaragua, with the rest $5 million will be spent on health and education in four Latin American countries.
"I've seen first-hand many of the challenges facing Latin America," Shakira said in a statement. "These are challenging problems that no one person can address, but working together everyone can help make a difference."
Shakira is the co-founder of the Latin America for Solidarity Foundation (ALAS), which means wings in Spanish, with Nobel Prize winning author Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance