Kanye West's Number Way Up Above 50 Cent's
After beaten out at MTV VMAs, Kanye West can now at least smile for the victory over 50 Cent who put a high stake in their chart battle. 50's 'Curtis' was sold 691,000 copies in the first week of its release, 200,000 plus short of 'West's 'Graduation' that soared high up to 957,000 copies, according to SoundScan.
The numbers have somehow become predictable because since last week the number has been in 800,000 to 600,000 ratio with West on the lead. Still, both rappers' final numbers are noted as the biggest opening-week for an album since 50's 'The Massacre' that opened at 1.1 million copies in 2005.
Even Kenny Chesney, who warned the rappers that he was also releasing his album 'Just Who I Am: Poets & Pirates' on the same day (September 11), has scored almost double of last week's reigner 'High School Musical 2' soundtrack that was sold 164,700 copies.
The irony in this battle is the statement made by 50 that he would quit writing music for himself if his album is beaten out by West's. Now that it happened, 50 can only said, "I am very excited to have participated in one of the biggest album release weeks in the last two years. Collectively, we have sold hundreds of thousands of units in our debut week. This marks a great moment for hip hop music, one that will go down in history."
50 will release another album 'Before I Self Destruct' in 2008, allegedly his greatest hits compilation before he "retires".
More Kanye West News
- Kylie Jenner Wraps Her Body With Real Snake in Sneak Peek of Sexy 2017 Calendar
- Lady GaGa Shares Kindness With the Help of Taylor Kinney and Her Mom
- Shia LaBeouf Unleashes New Freestyle in Response to Soulja Boy's Threats
- Nicki Minaj Gets Heavily Criticized for Making Fun of Mentally Ill Woman
- 'The Mummy' Director on Whether Tom Cruise's Character Dies in the First Trailer
- 'Westworld' Showrunners Address Evil Dolores and Ford's Fate
- Justin Bieber Announces 2017 U.S. Stadium Tour Dates
- Blac Chyna Seems to Diss Kylie Jenner and Tyga on Snapchat. Is This Khloe's Response?