Paris Hilton Sues Hallmark Over Their Hot Greeting Card
Paris Hilton is back in the legal line, not for doing something wrong, but to set the wrong doing right. The socialite filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court of Los Angeles Thursday September 6th, seeking at least $500,000 in damages from greeting card maker Hallmark for using her likeness and trademarked phrase "That's Hot" without permission.
In the lawsuit Paris alleged Hallmark created a card titled "Paris's First Day as a Waitress" that features a picture of her face superimposed over a cartoon of a waitress serving food that says "Don't touch that, it's hot. What's hot? That's hot." The card was first distributed earlier this year and remains on sale in the US for $2.49.
Due to such fact, Paris is suing for commercial appropriation of her identity, invasion of privacy, misappropriation of publicity and false designation of origin under the Lanham Act. She is asking for damages of no less than $100,000 for each of her claims in the suit and Hallmark's profits on the card plus a permanent injunction barring Hallmark from further exploitation of her name and likeness.
Hallmark, the largest greeting card manufacturer in the United States, insisted in a statement the cards were intended as satire, saying "Some of Hallmark's new humor greeting cards are parodies of today's most popular celebrities and politicians. These cards take a satirical look at news and gossip surrounding these public figures, including Paris Hilton, and we do not believe Hallmark has violated any of Miss Hilton's rights."
More Paris Hilton News
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3