RIP: Luciano Pavarotti
The world of music entertainment is mourning. Luciano Pavarotti has died.
The opera star and the world's most beloved tenors died Thursday morning September 6th at 5 a.m. local time, at his home in Modena, Italy, after a yearlong battle with pancreatic cancer. He was 71.
Pavarotti had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer last year and had cancer surgery at a New York hospital in July 2006. He underwent further treatment last month and had made no public appearances since then. Earlier Wednesday September 5th it was reported that his condition had taken a turn for the worse.
"The Maestro fought a long, tough battle against the pancreatic cancer which eventually took his life. In fitting with the approach that characterized his life and work, he remained positive until finally succumbing to the last stages of his illness," Pavarotti's manager, Terri Robson, told the Associated Press in a statement.
Pavarotti's last performance was that of "Nessun Dorma" at the opening ceremony of the Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy, in February 2006. His last full-scale concert was in Taipei in December 2005.
It was announced on Tuesday September 4th that Pavarotti is getting a new government award for his work promoting Italian culture in his country and abroad, making him the first to receive the award. "This prize fills me with joy and pride," the Italian news agency ANSA news agency quoted Pavarotti as saying Wednesday. No date has been set for the award ceremony though.
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Premiere: Gwen Stefani Returns as Coach and Wins the First Four-Way Battle
- J Balvin, Camila Cabello and Pitbull Tease New Track 'Hey Ma' on Instagram
- An Alleged Sex Tape of Trey Songz Leaks Online Amid Nicki Minaj and Remy Ma's Beef
- Emma Stone Says the Oscars Blunder Was One of the Most Horrible Moments of Her Life
- Drake on Remy Ma's Diss Track: 'His Heart's Bleeding for Nicki Minaj'
- Jimmy Kimmel Breaks Down Oscar Mix-Up: How Denzel Washington Helped Save the Day
- Get a Look at New 'Wonder Woman' Cool Photos and Concept Art
- Which Green Lantern Member to Appear in 'Justice League' Allegedly Revealed