The Golden Door Awarded 64th Mostra's Diamanti al Cinema
After its glorious triumph of taking six prizes at last year's Venice Film Festival, drama feature "The Golden Door" again got awarded for another big honor at this year's event, also known as Mostra Internazionale d'Arte Cinematografica di Venezia.
The Emanuele Crialese-directed film was bestowed the Diamanti al Cinema (Cinema Diamonds) for best film late Sunday (Sept 2), giving it the rare distinction of being honored in consecutive years at the festival. Announcement was made during a gala black-tie dinner at the Des Bains Hotel in Venice, Italy.
Meanwhile, most Diamanti al Cinema awards went to Italian drama "Saturno contro" as it took home all the major acting kudos while leading helmer Ferzan Ozpetek to receive that for best director. Winners were chosen based on the vote by moviegoers at more than 500 cinemas around Italy. Over 25,000 votes were collected this year, for which any film released for the 12-month period ending in March was eligible.
Launched in North America on May 25, 2007, "Golden Door" concerns a family's migration from Italy to New York during the beginning of the 20th Century, holding within them a dream of the land of opportunity, where giant vegetables are grown, people swim in milk, and coins fall from the sky. Don Luigi, the character portrayed by Vincent Schiavelli, initially was supposed to be major in the picture, but following the actor's death, it then was changed to be a supporting character only.
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt 'Never Wanted Sex' Prior to Their Split
- Kim Kardashian's Paris Robbery Crime Scene Photos Emerge
- Lisa Marie Presley's Kids in State Custody After Indecent Child Pics Were Found on Ex's Computer
- Samuel L. Jackson Hints at Nick Fury's Appearance in 'Captain Marvel'
- Aaron Carter Responds to Racism Accusation After Onstage Brawl
- Angelina Jolie Takes Her 6 Kids to Cambodia Amid Brad Pitt Divorce and Custody Drama
- Zoe Saldana Gives Birth to Baby No. 3 With Marco Perego
- Royal Showdown! Kate Middleton Reportedly Feuding With Meghan Markle