US Actress Angelina Jolie Visited Iraq, Met with Refugees and Troops
The fun is completely over, it's time to get back on duty. Angelina Jolie is done with the family time she had with partner Brad Pitt and their four children and heading for Iraq to meet with refugees and U.S. troops in the country.
Jolie wrapped up a two-day trip to Syria and Iraq Tuesday August 28th, accompanied by her bodyguard Mickey Brett, in her role as a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). While she was there, the actress took time meeting with displaced Iraqis in neighboring Syria on Monday before then crossing into Iraq for a few hours the next day, reportedly "to see firsthand the plight of hundreds of thousands of families uprooted by the ongoing conflict."
"I have come to Syria and Iraq to help draw attention to the humanitarian crisis and to urge governments to increase their support for UNHCR and its partners," Jolie said in a statement adding that "It is absolutely essential that the ongoing debate about Iraq's future includes plans for addressing the enormous humanitarian consequences these people face."
Besides fulfilling her duties for UNHCR, Jolie also met privately with American troops and other multi-national forces in the region.
More Angelina Jolie News
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Toys Reveal First Look at Kurt Russell's Ego
- Will Kanye West Perform at Pal Donald Trump's Inauguration?
- Fergie Who? Nicole Scherzinger to Replace the Singer in Black Eyed Peas
- Tupac Shakur Biopic 'All Eyez on Me' Is Set to Be Released in Summer
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Rumors After Seen Shopping Together
- Ariana Grande Criticized for Claiming She's the 'Hardest Working 23-Year-Old' on Earth
- Lady GaGa Teases Super Bowl Performance in New Behind-the-Scenes Video
- 'Game of Thrones' Latest Tidbit Reveals This Character's Unlikely Return in Season 7