It's True, Stephen Sommers Directing G.I. Joe
Talks about Stephen Sommers boarded "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra" finally are proven true as Paramount Pictures has confirmed that it has tapped "The Mummy" director to take care helming matters for the project, which had long been in development at the studio.
Sommers reportedly was hired right after he pitched his version of the flick to Paramount chairman-CEO Brad Grey and production prexy Brad Weston on Wednesday evening (August 22). The Indianapolis-born filmmaker next is expected to begin production in February next year for a summer 2009 release.
Said to only be based on Hasbro's popular line of action figures launched in the 1980s despite the long history of the toy line, "Joe" will feature a number of characters that include Cobra Commander, Baroness, Destro, and Zartan as the bad guys as well as our hero Duke, the mute ninja Snake Eyes, and the fetching heroine Scarlett on the good side. Apart from directing, Sommers is also set to produce alongside his Sommers Co. partner Bob Ducsay, Lorenzo di Bonaventura, and Hasbro chief operating officer Brian Goldner.
"Marrying Steve's vision with 25 years of this brand mythology feels like a great way to go forward," Goldner remarked.
In the meantime, it is also learned that a writer is going to be appointed immediately so that filming on the movie can meet the schedule. No official word yet on the name, but IESB.net has informed that the man is likely to be Stuart Beattie, widely recognized for his writing work in 2003's hit "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl."
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says