Veteran Funnyman Bill Murray Arrested on Suspicion of Drunk Driving
Bill Murray grabbing headlines with his being pulled over by police in Sweden while cruising through downtown Stockholm in a golf cart, then refused to take breathalyzer test after police said they smelled alcohol.
The veteran funnyman was stopped by Stockholm police early Sunday August 19th after they spotted him driving a golf cart en route to his downtown hotel. He was then asked to take a breath test, which the actor-comedian refused, as officers noticed he smelled of alcohol.
"He refused to blow in the [breathalyzer] instrument, citing American legislation," Detective-Inspector Christer Holmlund of the Stockholm police said in a statement. "So we applied the old method, a blood test. It will take 14 days before the results are in."
Murray, who had been at a golf tournament in Sweden, signed a document admitting that he was driving under the influence, and agreed to let a police officer plead guilty for him if the case goes to court, Holmlund said. "Then he was let go. My guess is he went back to America," Holmlund added.
Murray would only be charged if tests show his blood alcohol level exceeded the legal limit, which is quite low in Sweden. A very high alcohol level could lead to a prison sentence, but Holmlund said fines were more likely.
Bill Murray is an Academy Award-nominated, Emmy-winning and Golden Globe-winning comedian and actor. He perhaps best known for his work in Saturday Night Live, as well as for his comedic roles in such films, as "Stripes" (1981), "Groundhog Day" (1993), "Caddyshack" (1980), "Ghostbusters" (1984) and "Rushmore" (1998), just to name a few.
More Bill Murray News
- 'Game of Thrones' Stars Talk About the Bloodbath and Power Transfer in Season Finale
- Deadpool Makes Surprise Appearance in 'X-Men: Apocalypse' Japanese Trailer
- 50 Cent Arrested in the Caribbean for Saying 'Motherf**ker' at Music Festival
- Adele Burps While Taking Selfie With a Fan Onstage. See the Hilarious Video
- Rihanna Previews New Song 'Sledgehammer' From 'Star Trek Beyond'
- Mariah Carey Shows Off Bare Butts at Her DJ Debut in Las Vegas
- Justin Timberlake Attacked by Twitter Users for His Comment on Jesse Williams' BET Awards Speech
- Artist of the Week: Calvin Harris