Veteran Funnyman Bill Murray Arrested on Suspicion of Drunk Driving
Bill Murray grabbing headlines with his being pulled over by police in Sweden while cruising through downtown Stockholm in a golf cart, then refused to take breathalyzer test after police said they smelled alcohol.
The veteran funnyman was stopped by Stockholm police early Sunday August 19th after they spotted him driving a golf cart en route to his downtown hotel. He was then asked to take a breath test, which the actor-comedian refused, as officers noticed he smelled of alcohol.
"He refused to blow in the [breathalyzer] instrument, citing American legislation," Detective-Inspector Christer Holmlund of the Stockholm police said in a statement. "So we applied the old method, a blood test. It will take 14 days before the results are in."
Murray, who had been at a golf tournament in Sweden, signed a document admitting that he was driving under the influence, and agreed to let a police officer plead guilty for him if the case goes to court, Holmlund said. "Then he was let go. My guess is he went back to America," Holmlund added.
Murray would only be charged if tests show his blood alcohol level exceeded the legal limit, which is quite low in Sweden. A very high alcohol level could lead to a prison sentence, but Holmlund said fines were more likely.
Bill Murray is an Academy Award-nominated, Emmy-winning and Golden Globe-winning comedian and actor. He perhaps best known for his work in Saturday Night Live, as well as for his comedic roles in such films, as "Stripes" (1981), "Groundhog Day" (1993), "Caddyshack" (1980), "Ghostbusters" (1984) and "Rushmore" (1998), just to name a few.
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says
- Kourtney Kardashian on Reconciling With Scott Disick: 'I'm So Not There Yet'
- Listen to Preview of Carly Rae Jepsen's 'E.Mo.Tion: Side B' Tracks
- Here's Your First Look at Kristin Chenoweth's Easter on 'American Gods'