Veteran Funnyman Bill Murray Arrested on Suspicion of Drunk Driving
Bill Murray grabbing headlines with his being pulled over by police in Sweden while cruising through downtown Stockholm in a golf cart, then refused to take breathalyzer test after police said they smelled alcohol.
The veteran funnyman was stopped by Stockholm police early Sunday August 19th after they spotted him driving a golf cart en route to his downtown hotel. He was then asked to take a breath test, which the actor-comedian refused, as officers noticed he smelled of alcohol.
"He refused to blow in the [breathalyzer] instrument, citing American legislation," Detective-Inspector Christer Holmlund of the Stockholm police said in a statement. "So we applied the old method, a blood test. It will take 14 days before the results are in."
Murray, who had been at a golf tournament in Sweden, signed a document admitting that he was driving under the influence, and agreed to let a police officer plead guilty for him if the case goes to court, Holmlund said. "Then he was let go. My guess is he went back to America," Holmlund added.
Murray would only be charged if tests show his blood alcohol level exceeded the legal limit, which is quite low in Sweden. A very high alcohol level could lead to a prison sentence, but Holmlund said fines were more likely.
Bill Murray is an Academy Award-nominated, Emmy-winning and Golden Globe-winning comedian and actor. He perhaps best known for his work in Saturday Night Live, as well as for his comedic roles in such films, as "Stripes" (1981), "Groundhog Day" (1993), "Caddyshack" (1980), "Ghostbusters" (1984) and "Rushmore" (1998), just to name a few.
- 'The Talk' Host Sheryl Underwood Cries as She Reveals Terrifying Rape Ordeal
- Brie Larson to Play U.S. First Female Presidential Candidate in Victoria Woodhull Biopic
- Netflix Debuts 'Death Note' Teaser Trailer and It's Slammed for Whitewashing
- Michael Shannon Joins Contention to Play Cable in 'Deadpool 2'
- Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus Caught in Lip-Lock Amid Romance Rumors
- Lorde, Muse, The Killers, Chance the Rapper, Arcade Fire to Headline 2017 Lollapalooza
- William Shatner Says Nick Viall 'Needs to Go' From 'DWTS', the 'Bachelor' Star Reacts
- Zac Efron Is Drag Queen, The Rock Disses One Direction in New 'Baywatch' Trailer