Tom Hanks Sues Gold Circle Films Over "Big Fat" Movie Profits
Tom Hanks and some pals are entering the legal battle. The actor and the likes of Rita Wilson and Nia Vardalos have sued one of the producers of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding," claiming they still owed them profits from the 2002 romantic comedy film.
In the suit they filed Monday August 6th in Los Angeles Superior Court, Hanks, Wilson, and Gary Goetzman, all of whom are the film's producers along with actress Vardalos claimed Gold Circle Films owes them their percentage "share of net profits" while also named Big Wedding Prods. and Vortex Pictures as defendants.
"My Big Fat Greek Wedding," which cost $5 million to make, is reported to have grossed about $370 million in theatrical sales, earned the previously unknown Vardalos an Academy Award nomination, and is one of the most successful romantic comedies of recent years.
In the court papers, all the plaintiffs alleged Gold Circle Films maintains the film's aggregate gross receipts total $287 million and thus they are seeking unspecified monetary damages and a full accounting of the profits from the independent film production company.
A representative for Gold Circle, meanwhile, denied all claims in the lawsuit, labeled them as "frivolous" and "completely without merit." "Gold Circle has fully complied with its contractual obligations and has already paid plaintiffs a combined total of over $44 million in profits," the representative said in a statement. "Gold Circle has never thwarted the producers' audit rights."
More Tom Hanks News
- Anne Hathaway Admits She Faked Happiness During Her 2013 Oscar Win
- 'Real Housewives of Miami' Star Larsa Splits From Husband Scottie Pippen Amid Future Romance Rumor
- Former Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'
- Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams Named Co-Chairs for 2017 Met Gala
- Shailene Woodley Writes Powerful Essay About Her Arrest During Pipeline Protest