Amy Winehouse's 'Frank' Causes Labels Dispute
Once British singer Amy Winehouse's music gets the spotlight in U.S., labels start the war on re-issuing her album prior wall breaker 'Back to Black'. The Universal Motown/Universal Republic Group, Amy's recording house, begin stopping the import copies of 'Frank' by other retailers and merchandisers.
"We are selling physical product that the customers want, and they are trying to stop us," a retailer said. "In the meantime, it is flowing freely throughout the world over the Internet through the (peer-to-peer) sites."
Universal is planning to re-issue 'Frank', that was only sold 18,000 copies in the first U.S. release, on November 7 and now would like to eliminate competition. Eric Levinand, owner of Criminal Records in Atlanta said, "We have been selling 'Frank' long before (Amy) become hot here in the U.S. We can certainly wait, as we have been asked to do."
While some retailers have agreed to stop the business, some still can't follow the demand, saying that Universal is planning to re-issue 'Frank' after seeing its potentiality on the market. But a source from Universal has put the argument down. "The only reason the import album has scanned 18,000 units is because of all the time, effort and money that we put into 'Back to Black."'
Meanwhile, Amy is vowing not to skip anymore gigs after she was chastised by her own father for conducting bad behavior. She said, "Yes I've been bad. And yes I still get the odd rollicking from my dad. In fact, he sat me down the other day and gave me a talking to about missing gigs. I got into trouble, but I'm not gonna do that any more."
Few weeks ago Amy explained why she often cancel her gigs. ďI donít ever want to miss a gig, but sometimes I just donít feel up to it," she explained. "I know itís last minute and itís really irresponsible, but Iím a bit of a perfectionist and Iíd rather reschedule a show than do it half heartedly."
- Harley Quinn and The Joker Sport Very Different Tattoos in Early 'Suicide Squad' Concept Art
- 'Gotham': Cameron Monaghan Teases Disfigured Jerome With These Photos
- Spoiler Alert! 'Arrow' Showrunner Unveils Season 5 Finale Scene
- Trouble in Paradise? Jennifer Aniston's 'Tired' Justin Theroux Chooses His Career Over Her
- The Rock Has Some Epic Fights in New 'Jumanji' On-Set Photos
- Lady GaGa Causes Twitter Frenzy With Her 'Unrecognizable' Face on 'X Factor'
- New 'The Flash' Set Photos Reveal New Villain and a Mysterious Character
- Report: 'Game of Thrones' Books UFC Fighter Conor McGregor for Upcoming Season