Amy Winehouse's 'Frank' Causes Labels Dispute
Once British singer Amy Winehouse's music gets the spotlight in U.S., labels start the war on re-issuing her album prior wall breaker 'Back to Black'. The Universal Motown/Universal Republic Group, Amy's recording house, begin stopping the import copies of 'Frank' by other retailers and merchandisers.
"We are selling physical product that the customers want, and they are trying to stop us," a retailer said. "In the meantime, it is flowing freely throughout the world over the Internet through the (peer-to-peer) sites."
Universal is planning to re-issue 'Frank', that was only sold 18,000 copies in the first U.S. release, on November 7 and now would like to eliminate competition. Eric Levinand, owner of Criminal Records in Atlanta said, "We have been selling 'Frank' long before (Amy) become hot here in the U.S. We can certainly wait, as we have been asked to do."
While some retailers have agreed to stop the business, some still can't follow the demand, saying that Universal is planning to re-issue 'Frank' after seeing its potentiality on the market. But a source from Universal has put the argument down. "The only reason the import album has scanned 18,000 units is because of all the time, effort and money that we put into 'Back to Black."'
Meanwhile, Amy is vowing not to skip anymore gigs after she was chastised by her own father for conducting bad behavior. She said, "Yes I've been bad. And yes I still get the odd rollicking from my dad. In fact, he sat me down the other day and gave me a talking to about missing gigs. I got into trouble, but I'm not gonna do that any more."
Few weeks ago Amy explained why she often cancel her gigs. ďI donít ever want to miss a gig, but sometimes I just donít feel up to it," she explained. "I know itís last minute and itís really irresponsible, but Iím a bit of a perfectionist and Iíd rather reschedule a show than do it half heartedly."
- Listen to Jason Derulo's New Single 'Kiss the Sky' Off His 'Platinum Hits' Album
- Hayes Grier Shares Photo From Hospital, Assures Fans He's 'Good' After Dirt Bike Crash
- Constance Wu Slams 'Great Wall' for Whitewashing: Our Heroes Don't Look Like Matt Damon
- Zachary Quinto Addresses Engagement Speculations and Wedding Plans to Miles McMillan
- Justin Bieber Teases 'Cold Water' Video as the Major Lazer Collab Hits No. 1 on U.K. Chart
- See Tyler Hoechlin's Superman in Action in 'Supergirl' Set Videos
- Did Tyler Posey Just Come Out as Gay on Snapchat?
- Fans Defend Malia Obama Amidst Backlash for Attending Lollapalooza Instead of DNC