Musicians Paying Tribute to Virginia Tech Victims
A number of musicians are paying tribute to the late victims of Virginia Tech incident. Those slated to perform at the University's Lane Stadium are John Mayer, Dave Matthews Band, Virginia-born country singer Phil Vassar and rapper Nas.
"We have a profound respect for the incredible resolve and unwavering sense of hope the university community has shown, and are honored to have the opportunity to share this evening with Virginia Tech," said Dave Matthews Band's drummer Carter Beauford.
In response, University President Charles Steger said, "We're extremely grateful for the compassion and generosity of these artists who wished to create a very special event where our students, faculty and staff can come together to celebrate the spirit and resiliency of our university community as we begin a new academic year."
The concert is conducted September 6, in the beginning of the 2007-08 academic year as a way to help the community move forward in the wake of the tragic April shooting. Admission will be free for the students, faculty and staff but public in the mean time is not allowed to purchase the tickets.
Funding for this concert has been made by the performers themselves as well as anonymous donors. The ticket and merchandise sale will be utilized to cover some expenses the University needs.
A gunman named Seung Hui Cho opened fire and killed 32 people before shooting himself at Virginia Tech on April 16.
More John Mayer News
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March