Venus Williams Won Her Fourth Women's Title at Wimbledon
The date 07/07/07 brought good luck charm for Venus Williams. The American tennis player has on that day taken home her 4th Wimbledon title, beating Marion Bartoli of France in straight sets 6-4, 6-1 in the women's final.
It reportedly took only 90 minutes for Venus to beat Bartoli, who won over world number one Justine Henin of Belgium in the semifinals. The winning was Venus' first grand slam victory since winning at Wimbledon in 2005. She also won in 2000 and 2001.
"I was really motivated because no one picked me to win. They didn't even say, 'She can't win.' They weren't even talking about me," Venus said on her winning. "I never would doubt myself that way."
Venus' fourth Wimbledon title, which she got after missing much of last year with a wrist injury, makes her the fourth woman in the Open era to have won four Wimbledon titles, following in the footsteps of Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf and Billie Jean King. The win, in addition, also ensured that she became the lowest-seeded Wimbledon winner in the women's singles, beating her own record of winning as 14th seed in 2005.
More Venus Williams News
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy