Venus Williams Won Her Fourth Women's Title at Wimbledon
The date 07/07/07 brought good luck charm for Venus Williams. The American tennis player has on that day taken home her 4th Wimbledon title, beating Marion Bartoli of France in straight sets 6-4, 6-1 in the women's final.
It reportedly took only 90 minutes for Venus to beat Bartoli, who won over world number one Justine Henin of Belgium in the semifinals. The winning was Venus' first grand slam victory since winning at Wimbledon in 2005. She also won in 2000 and 2001.
"I was really motivated because no one picked me to win. They didn't even say, 'She can't win.' They weren't even talking about me," Venus said on her winning. "I never would doubt myself that way."
Venus' fourth Wimbledon title, which she got after missing much of last year with a wrist injury, makes her the fourth woman in the Open era to have won four Wimbledon titles, following in the footsteps of Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf and Billie Jean King. The win, in addition, also ensured that she became the lowest-seeded Wimbledon winner in the women's singles, beating her own record of winning as 14th seed in 2005.
- Nathan Keyes to Play Justin Timberlake in Lifetime's Britney Spears Biopic
- Brad Pitt Voluntarily Tested for Drug and Alcohol Amid Child Abuse Allegation
- 'SNL' Finds Its New Donald Trump in Alec Baldwin After Taran Killam's Exit
- Madonna Shares Nude Pic as She Joins Katy Perry to Vote Naked
- The Weeknd Kills His Old Self in 'Starboy' Music Video
- Miley Cyrus Calls Out Disney, Says She Was Underpaid on 'Hannah Montana'
- Monsters and War Unleashed in New 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' Trailer
- Video: Kim Kardashian Ambushed by Gigi Hadid's Attacker in Paris