"Valkyrie" Barred from Filming in Germany
The task to bring "Valkyrie" into production stage appears to be not that easy to carry out as the WWII thriller now is facing a refusal from Germany to film scenes at the country's military sites due to star Tom Cruise's status as a member of Church of Scientology which is not recognized there.
It has already been known that the project, based on true events, has got Cruise onboard to topline as Count Claus Schenk von Stauffenberg, the German officer who hatched the plot to assassinate Nazi leader Adolf Hitler at the height of World War II. Pic is slated to enter production next month, but with the ban, it is unclear now whether the shooting can really meet the schedule.
"[Filmmakers] will not be allowed to film at German military sites if Count Stauffenberg is played by Tom Cruise, who has publicly professed to being a member of the Scientology cult," Germany Defense Ministry spokesman Harald Kammerbauer stated. "In general, the Bundeswehr (German military) has a special interest in the serious and authentic portrayal of the events of July 20, 1944 and Stauffenberg's person."
In response to the matter, United Artists Entertainment Chief Executive Officer Paula Wagner has released a statement pointing out the company's sincere intention to depict von Stauffenberg as "the heroic and principled figure he was" that director Bryan Singer considered Cruise to be "perfect for the part."
"Mr. Cruise's personal beliefs have absolutely no bearing on the movie's plot, themes, or content." Wagner claimed, adding, "And even though we could shoot the movie anywhere in the world, we believe Germany is the only place we can truly do the story justice."
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture