"Valkyrie" Barred from Filming in Germany
The task to bring "Valkyrie" into production stage appears to be not that easy to carry out as the WWII thriller now is facing a refusal from Germany to film scenes at the country's military sites due to star Tom Cruise's status as a member of Church of Scientology which is not recognized there.
It has already been known that the project, based on true events, has got Cruise onboard to topline as Count Claus Schenk von Stauffenberg, the German officer who hatched the plot to assassinate Nazi leader Adolf Hitler at the height of World War II. Pic is slated to enter production next month, but with the ban, it is unclear now whether the shooting can really meet the schedule.
"[Filmmakers] will not be allowed to film at German military sites if Count Stauffenberg is played by Tom Cruise, who has publicly professed to being a member of the Scientology cult," Germany Defense Ministry spokesman Harald Kammerbauer stated. "In general, the Bundeswehr (German military) has a special interest in the serious and authentic portrayal of the events of July 20, 1944 and Stauffenberg's person."
In response to the matter, United Artists Entertainment Chief Executive Officer Paula Wagner has released a statement pointing out the company's sincere intention to depict von Stauffenberg as "the heroic and principled figure he was" that director Bryan Singer considered Cruise to be "perfect for the part."
"Mr. Cruise's personal beliefs have absolutely no bearing on the movie's plot, themes, or content." Wagner claimed, adding, "And even though we could shoot the movie anywhere in the world, we believe Germany is the only place we can truly do the story justice."
- 'Homeland' Finds Its Female President in 'House of Cards' Star
- Lindsay Lohan's Father Confirms She Told Him She's Pregnant
- Beyonce and 4-Year-Old Blue Ivy Play Twinsie in Cute Pictures
- Shonda Rhimes Denies 'GMA' Report That 'Scandal' Is Ending With Season 6
- Ellen Pompeo Admits She Stays on 'Grey's Anatomy' Because of Her Age
- James McAvoy Is a Psychopath in 'Split' Trailer
- Kristen Stewart 'So Much Happier' With Girlfriend Alicia Cargile Than With Any Man
- Watch: Elizabeth Banks, Idina Menzel and More Stars Cover 'Fight Song' for Hillary Clinton