"Worlds End" Shatters Global Box Office Record
Now the pirates can finally embrace their victorious moment.
After failing to surpass the tally "Spider-Man 3" scored during its weekend debut in domestic market, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End" triumphantly had its way to beat out the fellow Hollywood blockbuster globally. The epic sea adventure successfully hauled in $401 million in its first six days of release across the world to break worldwide box office record set earlier by the superhero flick with $382 million, president of Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Marketing and Distribution Mark Zoradi announced yesterday, May 28, 2007.
Around the globe, "Worlds End" has created record-breaking openings from Russia to Japan to collect a phenomenal $245 million gross. The highest was drawn from Korea where it swept a handful $18.4 million followed by Japan with $15.9 million, Russia with $13.7 million, Spain with $11.6 million, Taiwan with $4.5 million, and the Netherlands with $2.8 million. What's more, it also set new Walt Disney Studio records in the U.K. with $26.6 million, France with $17.7 million, Germany with $16.8 million, and Australia with $9.9 million.
"We knew that audiences all over the world were excited to see Johnny Depp and the rest of the fantastic Pirates cast in this latest adventure, but this record-setting response at the global box office has been nothing short of incredible," Zoradi commented. "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End now has the distinction of having the biggest opening in movie history, and we're extremely proud of that achievement."
The last installment of "Pirates of the Caribbean" trilogy, "Worlds End" picks up where its predecessor, "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest", left off under the direction of Gore Verbinski who once more takes the helming duties with Jerry Bruckheimer again serving as the producer. Pic has made a new record for the four-day Memorial Day weekend, collecting an estimated $142 million that surpasses the previous $122.8 million set by "X-Men: The Last Stand" last year.
- Jimmy Kimmel Breaks Down Oscar Mix-Up: How Denzel Washington Helped Save the Day
- Get a Look at New 'Wonder Woman' Cool Photos and Concept Art
- Which Green Lantern Member to Appear in 'Justice League' Allegedly Revealed
- Ashley Tisdale Claps Back at Fat-Shamers Saying She Looks Pregnant
- Kylie Jenner and Tyga's Wedding Is Going to Get Spin-Off Series
- Josh Hartnett and Girlfriend Expecting Baby No. 2 - See Her Baby Bump at Oscars After-Party
- Kong Destroys Helicopters and Kills Skull Crawlers in Final 'Kong: Skull Island' Trailer
- Halle Berry Skinny-Dipping in the Night After Oscars. Watch the Video!