Snoop Dogg, In Attempt to Preserve Hip-Hop
Snoop Dogg for the sake of rap music longevity in music industry, opens up about his willingness to collaborate with anyone despite race or image. He even encouraged people moving in the hip-hop industry to stay low and be wiser in their choice of language.
"Certain situations are so delicate. I try to play my hand like Martin Luther King, but sometimes I gotta be Malcolm X. So it's like a double-edged sword," Snoop said. "We're musicians. I should be able to work with whoever I wanna work with and not offend anybody. This is a music industry where we should take advantage of our position. Our power is to create music that reflects what you feel is right."
Snoop is particularly fearful since radio talk host DJ Don Imus made the racist remark "Nappy-headed hos" during a radio show recently. Imus' slip of tongue has sparked national concern on the language used in rap music.
"They're trying to stomp out rap with this Imus situation. I don't wanna speak on it heavily, but they're trying to use us as a scapegoat. 'Well, how can they say it and get away with it?' So they're gonna be trying to look for some reason to take this away from us, and if we can't get along then that's a perfect reason," he continued.
He also suggested the importance of "getting along" and "policing each other" so there won't be any misunderstanding.
The rapper recently challenged Oprah Winfrey to do a healthy debate regarding rap lyrics nowadays after the talk show expert mentioned his name during one of her shows. Snoop had made his offer but Oprah hasn't returned the calls.
More Snoop Dogg News
- The Weeknd and Selena Gomez Plan 'Summer Wedding' in Europe
- Taylor Swift Is Taking a Break From Social Media After Struggling With Instagram Bullies
- Watch: John Legend Surprises London Commuters With Mini-Concert at Train Station
- Rob Kardashian Hints at Wanting More Kids as He's Gearing Up for Baby Dream's First Birthday
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Are Still Dating, Despite Breakup Reports
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Was Drug-Tested for 'Tomb Raider'
- Chris Pine Shaves His Head Bald. Find Out How 'Homeland' Inspired His New Look
- Tyga Threatens to Sue Blac Chyna for Defamation After Snapchat Rant