The Edge of U2 Helps Raising $2 Million for Katrina and Rita Victims
Do you still remember U2's The Edge's vintage 1975 Gibson Les Paul guitar he donated to an auction benefiting charity Music Rising? The precious stuff, claimed to be used by the guitarist throughout his career with the Irish band, was one among the many items auctioned off at New York's Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square on Saturday night April 21st.
The Edge's guitar had been expected to bring $60,000 to $80,000, but it went for $288,000, including the commission. That's not all, the fundraising event, to everyone's surprise, raised $2.4 million, part of which will go to a charity that replaces musical equipment destroyed during the Katrina and Rita hurricanes.
"It was the best sale we've ever done," said Darren Julien, president and CEO of Julien's Auctions, which ran the event benefiting Music Rising. Any other items auctioned off during the night including memorabilia from a host of rock legends, like Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and KISS.
Other highlights of the auction and results can be viewed on the Julien's Auctions website beginning Monday, April 23, 2007 at Julien's Auctions.
Music Rising is the fund created by U2 guitarist The Edge, music producer Bob Ezrin and Gibson Guitar Chairman Henry Juszkiewicz to replace instruments lost by Gulf Coast musicians to hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005.
- Anne Hathaway's Dress at 'Colossal' Premiere Is So Awkward She Couldn't Sit in It
- Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye May Appear in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'
- Blac Chyna Believes That Rob Kardashian and Tyga Are Tag Teaming Against Her
- Saucy! Rita Ora Goes Braless as She Flashes Her Nipple Pasties in Sheer Top
- Little Mix Channels Inner Cowgirls in Music Video for 'No More Sad Songs' Ft. Machine Gun Kelly
- A Party Fit for Mother Monster! Get Details of Lady GaGa's Star-Studded Birthday Bash
- Jennifer Lawrence and Darren Aronofsky Are Getting More Serious, Despite Their 22-Year Age Gap
- Listen to Selena Gomez's Moody 'Only You' Cover for '13 Reasons Why'