"Robinsons" Scores Digital 3-D Opening Record
Bringing bright light to the future of digital 3-D, Disney's latest CGI-animated adventure "Meet the Robinsons" has delightfully been proclaimed as the largest digital 3-D opening in history following its superb attempt to garner $7.1 million on only 581 3-D screens, president of Disney's Buena Vista Pictures Domestic Distribution Chuck Viane revealed yesterday, April 2, 2007.
The forty-sixth animated feature of Walt Disney Feature Animation (WDFA) production, the 3-D engagements of the flick amazingly contributed 28 percent of the movie's overall three-day total of 25.1 million, grossing 2.6 times more than the traditional or non 3-D versions.
"The fantastic success of Meet the Robinsons this weekend and especially in its 3-D engagements is a clear signal that 3-D is bigger and better than ever, " Viane commented. "…We're thrilled to see audiences captivated by this exciting new technology, and turning out in record numbers for digital 3-D engagements.
Also openly expressed his excitement was Mark Zoradi, president of the Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group.
"This is a testament to the film's funny and emotional story, its engaging characters, and the excitement of seeing it in all of its 3-D splendor," so he remarked. "…We're proud of this latest artistic and technical achievement, and feel that it represents another milestone for Disney's incredible Animation Studio. We also are excited about many other ambitious projects that will take full advantage of advancing the digital 3-D technology."
Directed by Steve Anderson, "Robinsons" is based on the characters and events in William Joyce's illustrated book "A Day with Wilbur Robinson." It centers on the amazing adventures of Lewis, a boy-genius, who goes into the future with the help of a mysterious stranger named Wilbur Robinson to retrieve his stolen invention from the hands of the dastardly Bowler Hat Guy.
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace Convicted of Second-Degree Murder for Shooting His Wife
- First Look at Harry, Ginny and Albus in 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child'
- Mark Salling Fired From 'Gods and Secrets' After Indicted for Child Pornography
- Emilia Clarke Wants to Be the First Female James Bond With This Hunk as Her Bond 'Boy'
- Johnny Depp Wasn't Even Near Amber Heard When He Allegedly Hit Her, Witnesses Say
- Is Olivia Culpo Dating Danny Amendola? Here's the Proof
- Brad Pitt Reportedly Worries About 'Anorexic' and 'Fragile' Angelina Jolie
- Dan Aykroyd on Why 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Is Worth Watching: It Has More Laughs and More Scares