"Idols Give Back" in Place of Success Gained by American Idol Show
To celebrate the show's 200th episode, American Idol will hold a two nights show called "Idol Gives Back". Performers such as Gwen Stefani, Pink, Sacha Baron Cohen, Bono, Michael Buble, Annie Lennox, Josh Groban and Il Divo have been tapped in support of the show.
Introduced by host Ryan Seacrest in the Result Show on March 9, the performances that will be aired on April 24th and 25th are conducted in benefit of children in US and Africa. Its basic concept is to relief the poverty by raising money from every vote via phone or text message that comes in. As sponsors, Coke and AT&T will donate the money to several organizations including UNICEF, Global Fund, Save the Children, Nothing but Nets, and Malaria No More.
American Idol's six finalists singing an anthem about hope and compassion will open the first night and viewers can directly make donations through their votes. Essentially, this show is carried out in an appreciation of how the show has grown from a simple singing contest to a very successful and commercial one.
American Idol's creator Simon Fuller said that Richard Curtis, the producer of Red Nose Day, a successful UK charity based event, approached him to create a charity-based TV show. After some consideration, eventually he considered using American Idol as the media. "Thanks to the huge support of Fox and the enthusiasm and energy of the show's producers and hosts, it has finally become a reality," he said. "Red Nose Day is an extraordinary institution and I am hoping that 'Idol Gives Back' is an enormous success, raising awareness and huge amounts of money for all these wonderfully deserving causes, and allowing us to continue to make these important, world-changing shows for many years to come."
U2's Bono has also seen this campaign as a successful prospect to raise money for charity. "We'll see worlds collide when Africa appears on America's most-watched TV show. This is a big deal, a little bit of pop history. ... I wouldn't underestimate the reach of this show or the impact its audience can have."
- Kid Cudi Reacts to Drake's Diss Track: 'Say It to My Face, P*ssy'
- First Look at New Xenomorphs in 'Alien: Covenant' Leaks
- Alec Baldwin Accused of Tax Evasion
- John Mayer Names His New Album 'The Search for Everything'
- These Jeffrey Dean Morgan-Jensen Ackles' Tweets Are Perfect 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' Crossover
- Is It Really Over? Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Have Been Living Separately for Months
- Mariah Carey's Split From James Packer Could Ruin Her E! Reality Series
- 'Deadpool 2' Circling 'John Wick' Helmer David Leitch