Sundance Participants Strike Deals with Studios
This year's Sundance Film Festival indeed becomes such a great medium for indie features to strive higher as titles screening at the event namely "Teeth", "Grace Is Gone", "Waitress", "Joshua", and "Clubland" have all delightfully landed deals with noted film companies in terms of distribution.
For "Teeth", it is reported that both Lionsgate and The Weinstein Co. have obtained the worldwide distribution rights to the bizarre horror flick with the former handling the U.S. theatrical release due to the movie's rating. The feature debut for writer/director Mitchell Lichtenstein, it follows a high school student, who is still a stranger to her own body, as she discovers that she has a physical advantage when becoming the object of male violence.
Besides "Teeth", Weinstein has also gained the same rights to emotional drama "Grace Is Gone" after winning the bidding war against Fox Searchlight and Sony Pictures Classics on Sunday, January 21. The purchase price was undisclosed, but the film's budget was reportedly less than $5 million.
Meanwhile, both "Waitress" and "Joshua" went to Fox Searchlight which will distribute the pair across the globe, except in Canada for the latter one. Both intended for a 2007 release, "Waitress", the final work of Adrienne Shelly, features Keri Russell in the title role with Jeremy Sisto and Nathan Fillion co-starring while "Joshua" presents Sam Rockwell and Vera Farmiga in the cast under the direction of "Hell House" helmer George Ratliff.
As for "Clubland", its distribution rights turn out to fall into the hands of Warner Independent Pictures that holds the authority to release the picture in North America and the U.K. region. Hailed from Australia, the flick is a coming-of-age film about a young man's romance that affects his family and directed by Cherie Nowlan, who is known to often helm movies for Australian television.
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics