Matt Damon Is Lending His Star Power to Help Form African Charity
Matt Damon makes it good with his celebrity status, helping to launch a new initiative aimed to help bringing clean water to Africa.
The actor went to the Sahara Desert solely to scout locations for the upcoming "Running the Sahara," a documentary he's narrating about three long-distance runners' dangerous bid to become the first humans in history to run coast to coast across the fabled desert. In fact, he was touched by the lack of safe water sources in the country.
And so, Damon along with the production team for the upcoming documentary, set up H2OAfrica, a nonprofit organization dedicated to publicize the water crisis in Africa and to raise funds to develop clean, sustainable sources of water.
"I saw firsthand the effects of one of the largest public health issues of our time-the world water crisis which is at its worst in Africa," Damon said. Thus with the H2O Africa, the star "hopes to raise enough money to provide wells and water purification systems to the affected communities, especially around schools to encourage parents to bring their kids to get an education."
More Matt Damon News
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Help Jimmy Kimmel Poke Fun at Hodor Twist
- Is Marriage on the Cards for Sandra Bullock and Boyfriend Bryan Randall?
- Chloe Grace Moretz Gets New Sweet Tattoo. See the Pic!
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Star Frank Dillane Arrested Following Altercation With Security Guard
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!