The 2006 BMI Urban Awards Winners Announced
American performing right organization BMI has bestowed honors to some household names in music like Mariah Carey, Kanye West, Babyface, and L.A. Reid at its 6th annual Urban Awards held on August 30, 2006 in New York City.
Carey, taking the honor for the third time, received the title Songwriter of the Year for placing three of her hit songs from her latest album "The Emancipation of Mimi", namely "Don't Forget About Us," "Shake It Off" and "We Belong Together" on the most-performed list. The latter composition even was named Song of the Year, making the diva altogether obtain two prizes at the gala event.
West, who has gained a degree of prominence as rapper, also shone under the spotlight that night as he was bestowed the Producer of the Year title for the second time in a row. Following him, Babyface and L.A. Reid came next on stage to be granted the BMI Icon honors for their "enduring influence on generations of music makers."
Other titles such as BMI Urban Publisher of the Year and BMI Urban Ringtone went to Warner/Chappell Music Group and Jazze Pha's "1, 2 Step" respectively; Warner/Chappell for gaining the highest percentage of copyright ownership in award song while "1, 2 Step" for tallying the most downloads during the award period. For complete list of the winners, please go to the official site of BMI at www.bmi.com/urban/.
More Mariah Carey News
- Desperate to Lose Weight, Mariah Carey Opts for Breast Reduction Surgery
- Get a Glimpse of Demi Moore and Eva Longoria in 'Empire' Season 3B Teaser
- Marc Anthony Makes First Red Carpet Appearance With Girlfriend Mariana Downing
- Rihanna Is Not Taking Remy Ma's Side in Rapper's Feud With Nicki Minaj
- Ashley Olsen and Richard Sachs Have Called It Quits After Five Months of Dating
- Future and The Weeknd Tease 'Comin Out Strong' Music Video Filmed in Subway Car
- 'Legion' Season Finale Preview: You're Gods
- It's Over! Kim Kardashian 'Pulling the Plug' on Her Marriage to Kanye West