The 2006 BMI Urban Awards Winners Announced
American performing right organization BMI has bestowed honors to some household names in music like Mariah Carey, Kanye West, Babyface, and L.A. Reid at its 6th annual Urban Awards held on August 30, 2006 in New York City.
Carey, taking the honor for the third time, received the title Songwriter of the Year for placing three of her hit songs from her latest album "The Emancipation of Mimi", namely "Don't Forget About Us," "Shake It Off" and "We Belong Together" on the most-performed list. The latter composition even was named Song of the Year, making the diva altogether obtain two prizes at the gala event.
West, who has gained a degree of prominence as rapper, also shone under the spotlight that night as he was bestowed the Producer of the Year title for the second time in a row. Following him, Babyface and L.A. Reid came next on stage to be granted the BMI Icon honors for their "enduring influence on generations of music makers."
Other titles such as BMI Urban Publisher of the Year and BMI Urban Ringtone went to Warner/Chappell Music Group and Jazze Pha's "1, 2 Step" respectively; Warner/Chappell for gaining the highest percentage of copyright ownership in award song while "1, 2 Step" for tallying the most downloads during the award period. For complete list of the winners, please go to the official site of BMI at www.bmi.com/urban/.
More Mariah Carey News
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger
- Meet the Ravagers From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'