Madonna Has A Big Big Project for Malawi Programs
When Madonna does something, she always does it in the biggest way possible. The singer details her commitment to Time magazine in its new issue, hits newsstands on Aug. 7, saying she's about to help orphans in Malawi.
The Queen of Pop has announced plans to raise at least $3 million to aid orphans in Malawi, with the money going toward a care center, as well as improved economic, food and health programs for the area. The center, which breaks ground next week, is expected to feed and educate up to 1,000 Malawi children.
"For the last few years--now that I have children and now that I have what I consider to be a better perspective on life--I have felt responsible for the children of the world," Madonna told Time while adding "I've been doing bits and bobs about it and I suppose I was looking for a big, big project I could sink my teeth into."
In addition to the fundraising and the new center, Madonna is also financing a $1 million documentary about the region's orphans, and has met with President Bill Clinton and other prominent officials about bringing low-cost medicine to the region.
Malawi, a southeast African nation of 12 million people, is plagued by AIDS and malaria and is home to about 1 million orphans. Madonna, who has yet to visit the country, plans to go in October.
- Comic-Con: 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Footage and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Villain Revealed
- Leonardo DiCaprio Reunites With Nina Agdal After 'Caught Flirting' With Another Woman at His Gala
- Watch Henry Cavill Walk Around in Mask and Hilariously Prank Will Smith at Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: New 'Fantastic Beasts' Trailer Shows Newt Scamander Recapturing the Creatures
- Gwen Stefani's Son Kingston Sings Blake Shelton's Song While Face-Swapping With Him
- Comic-Con: Check Out Trailers for 'Flash' Season 3, 'Arrow' Season 5 and 'Legends' Season 2
- Refusing to Enter Rehab, Lamar Odom Walks Out of Family's Intervention
- Kristen Bell Shares First Photos From Her Wedding While Tearing Up Talking About Hubby Dax Shepard