Prince to be Honored Webby's Lifetime Achievement Award
It was announced Wednesday May 31st, 2006 by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences that Prince will receive a Special Achievement honor at the 10th Annual Webby Awards for his efforts to make use the Internet to distribute music and connect with fans.
"Besides being a musical genius, Prince is a visionary who recognized early on that the web would completely change how we experience music," Webby Awards founder Tiffany Shlain said in a statement. "For more than a decade, he has tapped the power of the Web to forge a deeper connection with his fans and push the boundaries of technology and art."
More on Prince's achievement that makes him deserve the honor is that his being the first major artist to release an entire album, 1997's "Crystal Ball," exclusively on the Web, according to the announcement, and "long before MySpace and iTunes, Prince used the Web as a new way to distribute music, premiere videos and build his relationship with his fans."
The awards ceremony is slated to take place June 12 at Cipriani Wall Street in Manhattan. Rob Corddry of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" will host the show. Meanwhile, Prince will be honored along with winners in 69 categories, as well as five other special-achievement recipients, including Thomas Friedman, a columnist for The New York Times, rock group Gorillaz, and the founders of the popular social networking site MySpace.com.
More Prince News
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture