Prince to be Honored Webby's Lifetime Achievement Award
It was announced Wednesday May 31st, 2006 by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences that Prince will receive a Special Achievement honor at the 10th Annual Webby Awards for his efforts to make use the Internet to distribute music and connect with fans.
"Besides being a musical genius, Prince is a visionary who recognized early on that the web would completely change how we experience music," Webby Awards founder Tiffany Shlain said in a statement. "For more than a decade, he has tapped the power of the Web to forge a deeper connection with his fans and push the boundaries of technology and art."
More on Prince's achievement that makes him deserve the honor is that his being the first major artist to release an entire album, 1997's "Crystal Ball," exclusively on the Web, according to the announcement, and "long before MySpace and iTunes, Prince used the Web as a new way to distribute music, premiere videos and build his relationship with his fans."
The awards ceremony is slated to take place June 12 at Cipriani Wall Street in Manhattan. Rob Corddry of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" will host the show. Meanwhile, Prince will be honored along with winners in 69 categories, as well as five other special-achievement recipients, including Thomas Friedman, a columnist for The New York Times, rock group Gorillaz, and the founders of the popular social networking site MySpace.com.
More Prince News
- Lady GaGa Annoyed by Traffic in 'Carpool Karaoke'. Get the Sneak Peek!
- Ryan Lochte Celebrates His Dog's 8th Birthday for Three Consecutive Years
- Rihanna Asks for Help to Find Her Missing Backup Dancer Shirlene Quigley
- Report: Britney Spears Is Filming 'Slumber Party' Music Video
- 'The Walking Dead' Alternate Take on Negan Kills Leaks Online
- Michael Fassbender Reveals New Name of Xenomorphs in 'Alien: Covenant', New Details Leak
- Kim Kardashian Drops Lawsuit After Tabloid Apologizes for Fake Robbery Claims
- Pharrell Releases Two New Songs From 'Hidden Figures' Soundtrack