Shakira & Karolina Kurkova Win Humanitarian Awards
"Let's not forget at the end of this day when we all go home, 960 children will have died in Latin America," Shakira said after accepting her Humanitarian award on Monday April 3rd, 2006.
"As part of a generation that has so many ideas and technologies and things that my parents' generation didn't have access to ... let's take advantage of this historical opportunity we have within reach to make this world a better place," the Latin pop star added.
Shakira gets the Humanitarian Award for starting a charitable foundation, Barefoot, to help children in her native Colombia escape violence. Elsewhere, Czech supermodel Karolina Kurkova, who got the same award, was honored for working for the welfare of children through organizations such as "The Beautiful Life Fund" and "Free Arts."
Some other famous figures granted the Humanitarian award among others include Angelina Jolie, Queen Rania of Jordan, Sen. Hillary Clinton, and Kerry Kennedy, all of whom didn't attend the ceremony and sent representatives instead.
- Katy Perry Unmasks Her Real Self in 'Witness' Video Teaser
- Johnny Depp and Javier Bardem Officially Join Tom Cruise in Universal's Monster Film 'Dark Universe'
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt Are Ready to Start Co-Parenting Their 6 Kids
- Watch Lana Del Rey Get Cozy With The Weeknd in 'Lust for Life' Video
- Kylie Jenner Is 'Annoyed' That Ariel Winter Keeps Stealing Her Look
- Kris Jenner Wants Her Marriage With Caitlyn to Be Annulled
- The Chainsmokers Hints at Collaboration with BTS
- Super Junior Shows Off Strong Bond After Recent Meet-Up