Shakira & Karolina Kurkova Win Humanitarian Awards
"Let's not forget at the end of this day when we all go home, 960 children will have died in Latin America," Shakira said after accepting her Humanitarian award on Monday April 3rd, 2006.
"As part of a generation that has so many ideas and technologies and things that my parents' generation didn't have access to ... let's take advantage of this historical opportunity we have within reach to make this world a better place," the Latin pop star added.
Shakira gets the Humanitarian Award for starting a charitable foundation, Barefoot, to help children in her native Colombia escape violence. Elsewhere, Czech supermodel Karolina Kurkova, who got the same award, was honored for working for the welfare of children through organizations such as "The Beautiful Life Fund" and "Free Arts."
Some other famous figures granted the Humanitarian award among others include Angelina Jolie, Queen Rania of Jordan, Sen. Hillary Clinton, and Kerry Kennedy, all of whom didn't attend the ceremony and sent representatives instead.
More Shakira News
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri