Shakira & Karolina Kurkova Win Humanitarian Awards
"Let's not forget at the end of this day when we all go home, 960 children will have died in Latin America," Shakira said after accepting her Humanitarian award on Monday April 3rd, 2006.
"As part of a generation that has so many ideas and technologies and things that my parents' generation didn't have access to ... let's take advantage of this historical opportunity we have within reach to make this world a better place," the Latin pop star added.
Shakira gets the Humanitarian Award for starting a charitable foundation, Barefoot, to help children in her native Colombia escape violence. Elsewhere, Czech supermodel Karolina Kurkova, who got the same award, was honored for working for the welfare of children through organizations such as "The Beautiful Life Fund" and "Free Arts."
Some other famous figures granted the Humanitarian award among others include Angelina Jolie, Queen Rania of Jordan, Sen. Hillary Clinton, and Kerry Kennedy, all of whom didn't attend the ceremony and sent representatives instead.
- Kylie Jenner Calls Tyga Her 'Husband' on Snapchat
- Lindsay Lohan Writing Tell-All Book About Her Life
- 'Wreck-It Ralph 2' Gets 2018 Release Date, Hints at Internet Setting
- Rihanna Is Queen of the Universe in 'Sledgehammer' Music Video
- Lady GaGa Responds to Dalai Lama Controversy
- Idris Elba, Michael B. Jordan, John Boyega Join Academy After OscarsSoWhite Backlash
- Louis Tomlinson Files for Joint Custody of His Son With Briana Jungwirth
- Iggy Azalea Addresses Nick Young Baby Rumor, Reveals She Caught Him Cheating on Camera