Shakira & Karolina Kurkova Win Humanitarian Awards
"Let's not forget at the end of this day when we all go home, 960 children will have died in Latin America," Shakira said after accepting her Humanitarian award on Monday April 3rd, 2006.
"As part of a generation that has so many ideas and technologies and things that my parents' generation didn't have access to ... let's take advantage of this historical opportunity we have within reach to make this world a better place," the Latin pop star added.
Shakira gets the Humanitarian Award for starting a charitable foundation, Barefoot, to help children in her native Colombia escape violence. Elsewhere, Czech supermodel Karolina Kurkova, who got the same award, was honored for working for the welfare of children through organizations such as "The Beautiful Life Fund" and "Free Arts."
Some other famous figures granted the Humanitarian award among others include Angelina Jolie, Queen Rania of Jordan, Sen. Hillary Clinton, and Kerry Kennedy, all of whom didn't attend the ceremony and sent representatives instead.
More Shakira News
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones