Shakira & Karolina Kurkova Win Humanitarian Awards
"Let's not forget at the end of this day when we all go home, 960 children will have died in Latin America," Shakira said after accepting her Humanitarian award on Monday April 3rd, 2006.
"As part of a generation that has so many ideas and technologies and things that my parents' generation didn't have access to ... let's take advantage of this historical opportunity we have within reach to make this world a better place," the Latin pop star added.
Shakira gets the Humanitarian Award for starting a charitable foundation, Barefoot, to help children in her native Colombia escape violence. Elsewhere, Czech supermodel Karolina Kurkova, who got the same award, was honored for working for the welfare of children through organizations such as "The Beautiful Life Fund" and "Free Arts."
Some other famous figures granted the Humanitarian award among others include Angelina Jolie, Queen Rania of Jordan, Sen. Hillary Clinton, and Kerry Kennedy, all of whom didn't attend the ceremony and sent representatives instead.
- Watch Danny Brown's Graphic Video for 'Ain't It Funny', Directed by Jonah Hill
- 'DWTS': After Alleged Diva Behavior, Nancy Kerrigan Now Threatens to Quit the Show
- Prince's Ex-Wife Reveals Devastating Addiction and Secret Overdoses Before His Tragic Death
- Casey Affleck Is a White-Sheeted Ghost in 'A Ghost Story' First Trailer
- Drake Postpones Amsterdam Concert Due to Extreme Food Poisoning
- Watch Lorde's Sweet 'Green Light' Remix About Creme Eggs
- Cheryl and Liam Payne Planning an 'Intimate Quickie Wedding' After Welcoming Their Son
- Steamy Photos of 'Supergirl' Stars Melissa Benoist and Chris Wood Confirm Their Romance