Queen Latifah Added to "Hairspray" Cast
The new version of musical "Hairspray" adds one more star to its cast as Queen Latifah has signed on to play the character Motormouth Maybelle, teaming up with "Grease" star John Travolta. This project therefore reunited the singer-actress with Craig Zadan and Neil Meron whom she had collaborated with in "Chicago" as well as Adam Shankman, who previously had directed her in his 2003 effort, "Bringing Down the House."
"Hairspray" centers on the story of teenager Tracy Turnblad who gets popular after appearing on a local TV show in Baltimore during the early 1960s and then uses her newfound fame to fight for racial integration. Filming is slated to start this fall for a 2007 release under the distribution of New Line Cinema.
- Prince's Rep Addresses Jay-Z's Rumored $40 Million Offer for His Unreleased Music
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' Showrunner Bryan Fuller Departs the TV Series
- Kevin Hart Eyed to Play Santa Clause in Disney's 'Dashing Through the Snow'
- Kesha Previews 4 New Songs, Hopes to Release New Album 'Early Next Year'
- Are They Engaged? Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson Flaunt Matching Rings on Instagram
- Michael Phelps Secretly Weds Nicole Johnson
- Amber Tamblyn Expecting Her First Child With David Cross
- Macklemore Fighting His Demons in 'Drug Dealer' Music Video