Keith Robinson Approaching Dreamgirls
One more cast approaching the musical drama flick "Dreamgirls." The man is Keith Robinson. He is slated to play the composer C.C., brother of the pivotal character of Effie, in the DreamWorks' and Paramount's project.
Already on board to star in among others are Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce Knowles, Anika Noni Rose, Jamie Foxx, and Eddie Murphy. In the meantime, Bill Condon is set to direct from a screenplay he adapted from the stage musical's original book by Tom Eyen.
"Dreamgirls" actually is based on the Tony Award-winning musical of the same name set in the turbulent late 1960s and early '70s. It follows the rise of a trio of women, Effie, Deena and Lorrell, who have formed a promising girl group called The Dreamettes. At a talent competition, they are discovered by an ambitious manager named Curtis Taylor, Jr., who offers them the opportunity of a lifetime: to become the back-up singers for headliner James "Thunder" Early. Curtis gradually takes control of the girls' look and sound, eventually giving them their own shot in the spotlight as The Dreams.
That spotlight, however, begins to narrow in on Deena, finally pushing the less attractive Effie out altogether. Though the Dreams become a cross-over phenomenon, they soon realize that the cost of fame and fortune may be higher than they ever imagined. Shooting on the film will begin January next year.
- Caitlyn Jenner Defends Daughter Kendall After the Infamous Pepsi Ad Debacle
- Ben Affleck 'Enjoys Being Single' After Divorcing Jennifer Garner
- Cashmere Cat Previews New Single 'Quit' Ft. Ariana Grande
- 'Scream' Season 3 to Get Makeover With New Cast and Location
- Drake Throws Shade at Jennifer Lopez While Staying at the Same Resort Shortly After Her Visit
- Stephen Colbert and Conan O'Brien Joke About Ivanka Trump Getting Booed in Germany
- Ewan McGregor Is in Talks to Star in Disney's 'Christopher Robin'
- Khloe Kardashian Hit With Lawsuit for Sharing Unlicensed Photo of Herself on Instagram