Keith Robinson Approaching Dreamgirls
One more cast approaching the musical drama flick "Dreamgirls." The man is Keith Robinson. He is slated to play the composer C.C., brother of the pivotal character of Effie, in the DreamWorks' and Paramount's project.
Already on board to star in among others are Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce Knowles, Anika Noni Rose, Jamie Foxx, and Eddie Murphy. In the meantime, Bill Condon is set to direct from a screenplay he adapted from the stage musical's original book by Tom Eyen.
"Dreamgirls" actually is based on the Tony Award-winning musical of the same name set in the turbulent late 1960s and early '70s. It follows the rise of a trio of women, Effie, Deena and Lorrell, who have formed a promising girl group called The Dreamettes. At a talent competition, they are discovered by an ambitious manager named Curtis Taylor, Jr., who offers them the opportunity of a lifetime: to become the back-up singers for headliner James "Thunder" Early. Curtis gradually takes control of the girls' look and sound, eventually giving them their own shot in the spotlight as The Dreams.
That spotlight, however, begins to narrow in on Deena, finally pushing the less attractive Effie out altogether. Though the Dreams become a cross-over phenomenon, they soon realize that the cost of fame and fortune may be higher than they ever imagined. Shooting on the film will begin January next year.
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding
- Mariah Carey Reportedly Wants to Withhold Sex Before Her Wedding
- 'Arrow' Star Stephen Amell Teases the Return of Mystery Character and 'Meaner' Season 5