Keith Robinson Approaching Dreamgirls
One more cast approaching the musical drama flick "Dreamgirls." The man is Keith Robinson. He is slated to play the composer C.C., brother of the pivotal character of Effie, in the DreamWorks' and Paramount's project.
Already on board to star in among others are Jennifer Hudson, Beyonce Knowles, Anika Noni Rose, Jamie Foxx, and Eddie Murphy. In the meantime, Bill Condon is set to direct from a screenplay he adapted from the stage musical's original book by Tom Eyen.
"Dreamgirls" actually is based on the Tony Award-winning musical of the same name set in the turbulent late 1960s and early '70s. It follows the rise of a trio of women, Effie, Deena and Lorrell, who have formed a promising girl group called The Dreamettes. At a talent competition, they are discovered by an ambitious manager named Curtis Taylor, Jr., who offers them the opportunity of a lifetime: to become the back-up singers for headliner James "Thunder" Early. Curtis gradually takes control of the girls' look and sound, eventually giving them their own shot in the spotlight as The Dreams.
That spotlight, however, begins to narrow in on Deena, finally pushing the less attractive Effie out altogether. Though the Dreams become a cross-over phenomenon, they soon realize that the cost of fame and fortune may be higher than they ever imagined. Shooting on the film will begin January next year.
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?
- Trey Songz Slams Nicki Minaj: She Ain't Had S**t Before Me
- Han Solo Movie Adds 'Sing Street' Star Ian Kenny