Coldplay to Compete for Mercury Award
The shortlist unveiled at a reception in London yesterday mentioned British rock act Coldplay as one of the 12 contenders competing to win the Mercury Award. The band's third album "X&Y" has been decided to be of such good quality, especially when performed live, and is mentioned as the third nominee. And so, this is the 3rd times that Coldplay has been nominated for the award after it lost the 2000's to Badly Drawn Boy and the 2003's to Dizzee Rascal.
Settled on the top nominee seat is singer-songwriter KT Tunstall's debut album "Eye To The Telescope." In between is rockers Bloc Party's "Silent Alarm" as second.
Any other mentioned in the list, most of which are English guitar bands which have released debut albums in the past 12 months, including "I Am a Bird Now" by Antony and the Johnsons; Hard-Fi's "Stars of CCTV"; rock band Kaiser Chiefs' album "Employment"; "A Certain Trigger" by Maximo Park; "Arular" by M.I.A.; "Held On the Tips of Fingers" by Polar Bear; "Kitty Jay" by Seth Lakeman; "Thunder, Lighting, Strike" by The Go! Team; and The Magic Numbers' self-titled album.
Those mentioned will all compete to win the Mercury award, whose winner will be named on September 6 at the "Albums of the Year" celebration in London telecast by BBC 2 and BBC 4 and broadcast on BBC Radio 1.
- Fans Speculate Infinite's Woohyun Is Involved in Sexual Assault Case
- Venus Williams Claims Fatal Car Crash Victim Didn't Wear Seat Belt
- Chadwick Boseman Hunts Down His Sister's Killer in Intense Trailer for 'Message from the King'
- Usher Cleans His Star and Pushes a Car With James Corden in 'Carpool Karaoke'
- Kate Hudson Shaves Her Head for New Musical Project With Sia
- O.J. Simpson and Kato Kaelin May Live Together for New Reality Show
- Khloe Kardashian Accused of Photoshopping Her Workout Pic. See It Yourself!
- Miley Cyrus Goes Shopping in Malibu in Tiny Bikini